Biscuits

Since I just posted cornbread, I figured I'd give biscuits equal time. 


Biscuits are really easy to make from scratch.  And pretty quick, too, once you get a system down. I use a recipe adapted from here, and they always come out great.

Start by mixing your dry ingredients in a bowl:


Then cut in the fat.  I use a mix of butter and shortening.  The butter makes them extra tender and gives a little extra flavor. 


Beat the eggs and milk together until well-blended. Here I used regular whole milk, but if I have some on hand, I'll use buttermilk If using buttermilk, add about 1/4 tsp baking soda with the dry ingredients.


Add the wet to the dry and mix until just blended.


Now comes the fun part!  Turn the dough out on to a well-floured surface and knead 20 times.  Now pretend I took a picture of that part.  I forgot because I was busy trying to get gooey bits of biscuit dough off of my hands.

Next, roll the dough out about 3/4 inch thick.



Here's a fun tip: If you want layered biscuits, like the ones you buy in a can, do this:


Then roll it out again.



Grab your trusty, very old, not quite round, wobbly-handled biscuit cutter and cut out some biscuits!


Put them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.


The recipe is supposed to make 12 biscuits, but I always roll them a little too thin, so I get a couple extras. 

Bake for 8-10 minutes at 450 F, or until golden.


Serve with lots of butter and honey or jam.  Or whip up some sausage gravy and ladle on a goodly amount.


Serve with a side of scrambled eggs for an easy (and inexpensive) dinner.

Hope you try these soon!  Here's the full recipe:

Fluffy Biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter
1 egg
2/3 cup milk or buttermilk*

In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat egg with milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
Turn onto a well-floured surface; knead 20 times. Roll to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

*If using buttermilk, add 1/4 tsp baking soda to the dry ingredients.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turtle Birthday Cake

Cross Country Cookies

Happy Belated Independence Day Cookies!