Butter Toffee

I'm most  of the way through my Christmas baking list.  On my list this year are:

Chocolate Chip Cookies
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Gingersnaps
Gingerbread Cookies
Sugar Cookies (iced)
Sugar Cookies (not iced)
Stuffed Cookies
Peanut Butter Cookies
Oatmeal Carmelitas
Fudge
Butter Toffee
Buckeyes
Peppermint Patties
Pumpkin Bread
Gingerbread

The more run-of-the-mill items I won't bother posting about.  If anyone is curious about a recipe, just drop me a line and I'll share.  No secrets here.

In order to keep everything as fresh as possible, for the drop cookies I make the dough, portion it out, freeze it on a cookie sheet, and when it's hard, put it in a resealable freezer bag.  Then, when I need some cookies, I bake off  a few, and they're fresh from the oven with a minimal amount of fuss. 

I do have a KitchenAid Professional 600, which makes my life easier because it holds about three batches of dough at once, depending on the recipe.  And since I usually make triple batches of everything at Christmastime, that means I only have to mix once. 

So...where were we?  Oh yes, butter toffee!  I lifted this recipe off of the Pioneer Woman's site.  It's fabulous.  My husband hates it, though.  He's odd.  Anywhoo, original recipe here .  Use it responsibly.

You'll need a candy thermometer.  Really. And burn ointment.  Don't ask.


Put melted butter (one pound!), sugar (one pound!), salt and water in a saucepan and heat to boiling.


Stir gently until it reaches 298 degrees F.  This is just about right.


And this is too much.  Throw it out and start over. 


Just an FYI: Those last 10 degrees go really fast.

Ok, so once it reaches 298, stir in the vanilla and immediately spread the hot candy onto two parchment-lined baking sheets and let it cool.  Forget to take a picture while you're at it.  Once it's cool, blot off the excess butter then spread melted chocolate on top of the candy, and forget to take another picture.  Finally, sprinkle sliced almonds on top of the chocolate.  Press them down for good measure.


See, I'm not a complete airhead!  Break up the candy into bite-sized pieces when everything is all set.  Keeps for a long time in an air tight container.  And it's SOOOO good.  You should make some. 

That's all for now.

Enjoy!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turtle Birthday Cake

Happy Belated Independence Day Cookies!

Cross Country Cookies