Rainbow Penguin Cake

I was going to call this post "The Ghost of Birthday Cakes Past", but then I figured you'd expect to see more than one cake.  And I'm only showing you one cake.

Anyhoo, this is the cake I made for the Boy's fifth birthday (or 5st, if you're a Cake Wrecks follower).  He wanted penguins and an igloo and a slide.  We saw a Christmas cake on Cake Central by BarbieAnnplayswithherFOOD and adapted from there.


He wanted ten penguins.  No more, no less.


Little igloo on top.  White cake, I think.  Nothing fancy. Sprinkled with a little "pixie dust" disco dust.  Looked very icy.


Penguins sliding.  The little guy at the top of the slide was my favorite.



Snowball fight!

Hanging out.


Building a snowman.



I definitely see things I would have done differently.  I should have used more colors.  Maybe some trees, or something. I don't know what I was thinking to make the snowman's hat and scarf blue.  Should have been red or something.  I don't know.

Can you keep a secret?
*whispering*
The best part was not the outside.  It was the inside.
It was 12" round on the bottom.  Six individual layers.


An 8" round in the middle, carved to look like a slide/road.  I sort of shoved the knife in, said a prayer and started cutting. We were all surprised when it worked!


I still think it looks so cool.


Then it was crumb coated and covered with fondant.  This was a HEAVY cake.  There was a lot of icing between all of those cake layers.

The boy was very happy with the result.  It sort of set the bar for all of the birthday cakes for the rest of his life.  It was pretty awesome when it was cut, after all.


And do you see how the kitchen isn't 70's yellow in the pictures?  That was our old house. We sold it a few years ago and moved "temporarily" into the house with the yellow kitchen.  We're still looking for a new house.

Here's what my old kitchen looked like. I painted it to match my dishes.  It was a little over the top, but I liked the color scheme.  It was VERY small, though. A galley kitchen with almost no counter space and very little storage.  (Behind the louvered door is the water heater...no storage there.)  It was more like a hallway than a kitchen, really.




Anyway, I found these photos, started feeling nostalgic, and thought I'd share.

That's all for now.

Enjoy!

Comments

  1. This cake is amazing! You awe me! Really, those penguins are adorable and all those layers, colors, etc. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That cake was most definitely a labor of love!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turtle Birthday Cake

Cross Country Cookies

Happy Belated Independence Day Cookies!