Saturday, June 1, 2013

Blueberry Buttermilk Rolls and Inigo Montoya

Seriously.  Oh my goodness.  I saw this recipe over at Blueberry Kitchen and had to try it.  I was not disappointed.


(Why do my pictures look upside down lately?!?!?!?!)

Anyhoo.  Blueberry jam is not widely available around here.  Go figure.  So the hubby and I left he kids with Nana and went on a small road trip to Amish country. (OK, so we didn't really go all the way to Amish country just for blueberry jam...but we did find some while we were there.)


I should have gotten two jars.  I ran out. Fortunately, I had previously purchased a jar of blueberry preserves, in case I wasn't able to find jam.

While I was making the rolls, I noticed Hubby had left his favorite shirt on a kitchen chair, so I took a picture.


This isn't a step-by-step, just a few random pictures.  The dry ingredients and the butter:


The lovely, lovely dough after its first rising:


You can see where I ran out of jam and switched to preserves.


Rolled, cut out, and ready for their second rising:


The rolls after the second rise, just before the oven:

And fresh from the oven:


That one in front thought it was going to climb right out of the baking dish.

FYI: I doubled the original recipe because I was taking the rolls to Bible study, and I needed more than 12.  I had another 4 left over that were baked separately.  The family took care of those.

I'm not going to lie.  I didn't use the cream cheese glaze from the original recipe on mine.  I went with straight-up cream cheese frosting. I'm a rebel that way. And I didn't take a picture of the rolls with icing.  I'm also a doofus.

But trust me, they were everything I'd hoped for.  Light, fluffy, not too sweet, with just the right amount of blueberry goodness. Maybe next time I will zest a lemon over the filling before I roll them up.  Just to be wild and crazy.

Anyhoo, pop on over to Blueberry Kitchen and check out the full recipe.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. interesting...I think the possibilities are endless here...I may dive into this recipe myself! And as for that t-shirt...I LOVE this movie. I met Andre the Giant back in the late 80's and he was honestly the sweetest man. SO many amazing characters....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! My head is spinning with all of the possibilities!

      Delete