Swoon-Worthy Fudge Brownies

I finally made brownies and took pictures!  I've made brownies approximately six times since I started this (baking) blog, and never remembered to take a picture.  So here you go:


Had I had something to block out the background, this might have been a decent picture! 

Anyhoo, I use this recipe, almost exclusively:  King Arthur Flour Fudge Brownies  They are very, very good.  I'll post about King Arthur flour another time. 

First, you melt butter on the stove, then you add the sugar and heat until the mixture is hot, but not boiling.


In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and vanilla.  And here is where I differ from the original recipe.  I do NOT use espresso powder.  I see on baking sites where people say, "Oh, you can't taste the coffee, it just makes the chocolate taste more like chocolate!"  Baloney.  It makes the chocolate taste like coffee.  So I use vanilla and about 1/4 teaspoon of mint extract.  Not peppermint, not spearmint.  Mint.  And a little goes a long way, so don't overdo.

It will look pretty scary when you've mixed it all together.


Now you pour in the hot butter/sugar mixture.


Now it looks even scarier!  But just keep stirring, it will work itself out.  


After your sugar and chocolate are all incorporated and playing nicely together, add the flour and the chocolate chips.



Now, the biggest complaint on the King Arthur recipe seems to be that the chocolate chips are melted (as in gone) once the brownies come out of the oven.  King Arthur suggests letting the batter cool for about half an hour before adding the chips.  Personally, I've never encountered that problem because I store my chips in the *gasp* freezer .  I know, don't tell the chocolate police.  But it works for me and my chips don't melt when I make brownies.

So pour your brownies into a pan.  I grease mine with home-made cake release, but you can use shortening if that's all you have.


They will be very thick.


Pop them in the oven and bake at 350 for about 35 minutes.

Mmmmm...brownies...

So if you get a chance, make these soon.  Have plenty of milk handy.  Or maybe some mint chocolate chip ice cream. 

Enjoy!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turtle Birthday Cake

Cross Country Cookies

Happy Belated Independence Day Cookies!