Peaches 'N Cream Pie

More peaches!  Yay!

So I found this recipe in Mom's 1960-something Betty Crocker cookbook.  It looked interesting, so I thought I'd give it a try. 

Start by making a pie crust and rolling out half for the bottom of your pie. Thusly:



That's freezer paper I'm rolling on there.  Because I'm a dip, I ran out of both parchment and waxed paper.  And then went to the store and didn't buy more.  *sigh*  But the freezer paper worked better than I expected, so it was all good.

Line your pie plate:


I was going for "rustic".

Stir together some flour and sugar. Sprinkle half onto the bottom of your pie crust.  Next, take 5 fresh peaches, peeled, halved and pitted (I used more because my peaches were small...we're having a bit of a drought), and place them cut side down on the flour/sugar mixture:


Sprinkle the rest of the sugar/flour on top of the peaches, then pour on the cream and sprinkle the cinnamon over the whole she-bang.  Now pretend I took a picture.

Bake at 450 for 10 minutes, reduce the heat to 350 and then bake an additional 30-35 minutes.  I think I left mine in for a while longer, maybe 40 - 45. 

And here's what we got:



Cool the pie, then chill in the fridge until set.  This is as much a cold pie as the pie in my last post is a warm pie. 

After it was cool and set, it was still a little runny.  I could see what they were going for, but it didn't quite work out.  But it tasted really good.  Next time, I will add a couple tablespoons of arrowroot or cornstarch to the flour and sugar and see what happens.  Maybe I'll slice the peaches, too.  The family said it looked like fried eggs with the peaches sitting in the cream like that. 

But definitely worth making. 

Here's the full recipe:

Peaches 'N Cream Pie

Pastry for single 9" pie, unbaked
3/4 cup sugar
3 Tbs flour
5 fresh peaches, peeled, pitted and halved
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Heat oven to 450. Prepare pastry.  Stir together flour and sugar.  Spread half the mixture in the pastry-lined pie pan.  Place peach halves cut side down on sugar mixture.  Sprinkle remaining sugar mixture over peaches.  Pour cream over all; sprinkle with cinnamon.  Cover edge of crust to prevent over-browning.  Bake 10 minutes.  Reduce temp to 350 and bake additional 30-35 minutes. 

Chill thoroughly before serving.

Enjoy!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turtle Birthday Cake

Cross Country Cookies

Happy Belated Independence Day Cookies!