Spring Break and Apple Crisp

Monday was the first day of Spring Break.  This is what we woke up to:


The boy was less than thrilled.

So we made an apple crisp.  It didn't feel like a pink lemonade cupcake kind of day.


Since our apple crisp was unplanned, all we had in the house were Fuji apples, which really aren't the best for baking.  I nuked them for a couple minutes to soften them up first. My absolute favorite baking apples are Winesap.  But we can only get those at the local fruit farm, and they're not ripe until the end of the season.  So we have a while (about six months) until we can get them. :-(

We used the Pioneer Woman's fruit crisp recipe. Because it's yummy. I do make a few alterations. It's who I am.  I use 5 (at least) cups of fruit.  2 Tbs of cornstarch, a generous sprinkling of cinnamon, and, depending on the fruit, less to much less sugar.

See all the cinnamon?


Yeah, well, it turns out I had the "spoon" part of the lid open instead of the "sprinkle" part of the lid.  My generous sprinkling of cinnamon was about three tablespoons.  I did manage to remove most of it.  I also forgot to cut back on the sugar in the fruit (I really need to be better about making notes on seasonal recipes...I forget from season to season what works).  The topping I don't adjust, except to add cinnamon. The crisp came out a little sweet, but it was still good.

The girl kept calling it her pie.  It was cute.  Especially since I made chicken pot pie that night, and she insisted that we had two pies for dinner.

Well, the snow is mostly gone today, but I don't hold out much hope for a warm, sunny spring break.  At least what's left of it.

But since Easter is almost here, hot cross buns are next on the agenda. Woohoo!

That's all for now.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turtle Birthday Cake

Cross Country Cookies

Happy Belated Independence Day Cookies!