St. Patrick's Day Cookies!

Here they are!  My very first EVER set of St. Patrick's Day cookies.


Why the first ever?  I don't know.  It's not really a holiday we celebrate, even though Hubby is mostly Irish by descent.

Anyhoo, I will be linking this post up to LilaLoa's photography challenge.  Those of you who frequent this blog know how I feel about photography.  But in order to participate in the challenge, I CHARGED MY REAL CAMERA!!!! I know, right?  Actual photographers will probably take issue with my calling my little Olympus point-and-shoot a real camera. But it has settings.  That I can change.  Thereby making it more real than the camera in my iPhone, which is what I normally use to take pictures.

Like this picture right here:


Please note the yellow cast (which pervades most of the pictures in this blog).  Classic iPhone-in-my-kitchen.  The pics, by the way, are templates I used for the cookies.  I made the templates with card stock and an X-Acto knife.  The pots o' gold cookies are circles and I made a template so the pots would all be the same.  I don't have a KopyKake.  Sometimes I think I need one, but I'm not quite there yet.  With these cookies, I was very nearly there.  The other template was to keep the arches on the rainbows semi-uniform.  'Cause I can't draw a straight line.  Or a curved line. It's unfortunate, really.

I also made shamrocks, but they didn't require a template.

And I drew on the cookies with an edible marker before I piped:


The rainbows are a circle cut in half with a wonky flower inset.  I thought about cutting out the void under the rainbow, but then I thought they looked too fragile. Besides, everyone likes more cookie in their cookie, right?



So, what do you think?  Still not an awesome photo, but much better.  I went outside.  Funny story there.  I made these cookies over the weekend.  And then it rained.  And then it snowed (just some flurries, no biggie).  And then it was overcast.  So, here it is on Friday, and the sun came out enough to get a picture.


Some of the pots of gold I added dots for gold pieces.  That took a long time, since they had to dry a little between sets of dots so they didn't run together.  Then I painted them with gold sheen airbrush color.  With a paintbrush.  I'm afraid of airbrushes.



I probably could have kept the rainbows neater if I'd let the colors dry between each arc, but I really wanted the wet-on-wet- look for these.  I think the clouds look like a wonky flower, though.  Maybe next time a normal flower will do.  If there is a next time.  I spent HOURS mixing icing colors. Or at least it seemed like hours.


One third of the shamrocks I left plain, one third I covered with green sanding sugar and the final third I sprinkled with emerald disco dust.



Can you tell which is sugar and which is disco dust?  I <3 disco dust.  I don't care if some people think it's evil.

Anyway, that's it for the St. Paddy's Day cookies.  Cookies for Operation Cookie Takeover will be coming soon!

Enjoy!





Comments

  1. I'm loving your rainbow cookies! I've been wanting to make some for ages, but just thinking about all that color mixing makes me sleepy :) Glad you had the energy to make some bright and lovely cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were fun, but it will be a while before I make rainbow cookies again!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turtle Birthday Cake

Happy Belated Independence Day Cookies!

Cross Country Cookies