Cupcakes in Teacups!

About a year ago a friend of mine asked if I would be willing to make cupcakes as favors for an event her porcelain-painting group was holding. Of course I would be happy to! Fast forward 12 short months, and it's time for the big event. Because the cupcakes were favors and not technically a dessert, my friend thought it would be cute to put them in teacups. I agreed. This is what we ended up with:


I thought they came out cute. Half were vanilla and half were chocolate.


She needed five dozen, so I had stacks by the time it was all over. There were cupcakes everywhere!


I think the purple swirls with the pearls were just about my favorites.


I may have been a little more partial to the pink ones. I saw the design over at Bird on a Cake and had to give it a go.


The blue ones were fun, too.


All-in-all, not a bad cupcake haul!


But when it was all done, I had some leftover cupcakes and some extra blue and purple icing.  So I made hydrangeas.


Do you love hydrangeas?  I do.  I have loved them since I was a little girl living in San Diego. Some of  the people in our neighborhood had HUGE hydrangea bushes in their yards. I was fascinated by the blooms.


I planted some hydrangeas in my yard last year. I accidentally put them in full sun in the middle of a drought. They were not amused. I managed to nurse them through the summer with daily watering and pep talks.
The weather was much more hydrangea-friendly this year. But only one of the bushes bloomed. And that one only bloomed once. As in, only one blossom (what on earth do you call an hydrangea blossom? It's made of bunches of flowers...). And it was pink. When I bought the plant, the pot assured me it was blue. My mom tells me to put an aspirin in the soil and the flowers will turn blue. I'll try that next year if we're still here.

Anyhoo, sorry for the rabbit-trail.  Cupcakes in teacups rule! We put the saucers under the teacups at the venue. Even cuter!

That's all for today.
Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Beautiful!! And I must know how you got such a perfect swirl to those stunning purple cupcakes! Do you use a particular tip and technique?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Marci! I just used a 1M tip and piped a swirl from the outside to the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are gorgeous! after all the royal icing I make, this buttercream looks luscious! My hydrangeas (a row of them...) were mistaken for weeds by a certain man I am married to and he killed them. And the columbine, and the peonies.....I'd fire him, but he works for free!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeek! I would have been so upset. Of course, I would be lying if I said the same thing had never happened to me...just not with my beloved hydrangeas. The buttercream is lovely...it's good on cookies, too, but you can't stack them when you're done, which means I don't use it on cookies very often at all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turtle Birthday Cake

Happy Belated Independence Day Cookies!

Cross Country Cookies