I wanted to do one big cookie that was more like a picture. I had a cross-stitch pattern sitting around that I had used to make a Christmas present for my niece. So I copied the pattern onto a cookie. I mean, it had all the colors listed. Who could ask for more? Anyway, I believe there were 15 colors. The cookie was 4x6-ish. I totally screwed up the background, but overall I was ok with how it came out.
I used corn syrup glaze, not royal icing. I may try it again sometime using RI. I don't have a kopykake, which would have made the whole thing easier, but I drew the pattern onto the cookie first, then outlined and filled the base, then added the details on top. I did not have any tips smaller than a 1 at the time, so the details aren't as fine as they should be. Live and learn.
Then we gave it to the boy's teacher to make up for an incident that may have involved him running around the classroom, arms flailing wildly, screaming that it's not fair. (For the record, he's matured since then and we haven't had another incident.)
That's all for now.