Toad-In-the-Hole

Guess what the girl ordered for her special birthday dinner?  OK, you'll never guess.

Toad-in-the-hole and macaroni and cheese from a box.  So much for healthy eating.  And all of the wonderful from-scratch macaroni and cheese I've made over the years.



So, have you heard of toad-in-the-hole?  It's British.  Only I didn't know it was British when I first started making it.  The first recipe I found for toad-in-the-hole wasn't a really good one, but I knew it should be good. If only I knew what to do.

So I did some digging and found out the "hole" is Yorkshire Pudding.  Seriously awesome stuff.  The toad is sausage.  I believe you're supposed to use something called "bangers", but that's not an item I can easily get here.  So Bob Evans bulk sausage it is!

**If anyone reading this blog knows how to make real, authentic toad-in-a-hole, feel free to leave me some pointers.  But this is how I make it and it's the girl's favorite dinner in the whole world.**

Start by mixing 1 1/2 cups of flour, 1 1/2 cups of milk, 1 1/2 cups of eggs and 1/2 tsp salt in a large bowl.  Whisk until perfectly smooth.  Now let that sit for about 20 minutes so all the air bubbles rise to the surface.

Preheat your oven to 400F.  While that heats, fry some sausage in an oven-proof skillet.  I use my handy-dandy stainless steel saute pan. Please don't judge the condition of my stovetop. It's clean now, I promise.


Once the sausage is all cooked through, and while the pan is still smoking hot, pour in the egg/milk/flour mixture.


See all that grease?  That's what makes the magic happen.  Don't pour it off beforehand or your dinner will be RUINED.

Throw the pan into the hot oven and bake,uncovered, for 40 - 45 minutes. Do NOT peek in the oven to see how it's going.  Turn on the light and strain your eyes looking through the little window, but do not open the door.

When it's done, it should look like this:


See how high it is over the side of the pan? It will sink a bit as it cools, but it will still be high.  The brown crispy bits around the edge are to die for.  Seriously. I can't help but pick a piece off every time I walk by.

Oh, and be sure to cover the handle of your pan after you take it out of the oven. I usually put an oven mitt over mine.  Because it's a handle.  And even if I know it's hot, I grab the handle. Over and over again. I'm smart like that.

Cut it into wedges and serve with a side of mac & cheese and a veggie. Heavenly when hot. Not so much when cold, so eat it right away.

Anyhoo, this is not a healthy meal option, but it's really good and you should make it. (Oh, and it's called toad-in-the-hole because the sausages bake with little air pockets around them and they look like toads in holes when it's done.)

Toad-in-the-Hole

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, unbleached
1 1/2 cups whole milk, room temperature
1 1/2 cups eggs (7 or 8 large)
1/2 tsp salt

1 pound bulk pork sausage, cut into patties

Mix milk, flour eggs, and salt in a large bowl with a whisk until smooth.  Set aside for 20 - 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400F.

Fry sausage until cooked through.  Pour flour/egg/milk mixture onto cooked sausage while the pan is still very hot. (Don't drain the grease first.)

Bake in a preheated oven for 40-45 minutes until puffy and golden brown and delicious.

Well, that's all for now.

Enjoy!

Comments

  1. That looks delicious!!! I might have to make this sometime. It reminds me of Geman panckes. I made them one time for a brunch. They were fluffy and delicious! And most importantly- Happy Birthday to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marci! I've never tried German pancakes...looks like I'm going to have to do a little more research. lol

      Delete
  2. I love, love, love Yorkshire pudding...and sausage....so this is going to happen! It looks awesome! And that thing about grabbing the handle of the hot pan....every, dang, time! I get it, I just don't know why we do it! Fun recipe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least now I know it's not just me! If you try this let me know what you think!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Turtle Birthday Cake

Happy Belated Independence Day Cookies!

Cross Country Cookies