Not Your Typical Graduation Cake

Due to family coming into town/leaving town on different days, I got to make two graduation cakes for the same graduate!  The first cake was for the less formal family-in-from-out-of-town cookout, and included the graduate's school colors.  This next cake was for the official Graduation Party.  The graduate loves Tinkerbell, so she wanted a tinkerbell theme.  Her mother threatened death if a representation of Tinkerbell actually made it onto the cake, so we went with Tinkerbell colors instead. :-)


On a side note, I really need to refinish my kitchen table.  But then I'd have to do the chairs, too.  And I don't want to do the chairs.

And this is what she asked for.  It's a little much for my taste, but I hear she absolutely loved it.  (I wasn't able to make it to the second party.)  As I seem to say all the time, you can't tell, but it was sparkly because it was liberally sprinkled with Pixie Dust.  For real.  Disco Dust makes a color called Pixie Dust.  It's my favorite.  It's perfect for snow scenes.


Please pay no attention to the freakish bow.  It was raining, and the humidity was slowly causing it to droop.  I didn't want to make the bow out of marshmallow fondant (mmf) because mmf doesn't really dry hard.  I had a sample of Fondarific sitting around, so I used that instead.  Unfortunately, when I was halfway through with the bow, I remembered that Fondarific doesn't dry hard, either.  Even with tons of tylose powder added.  Go me.

The top tier is marble cake with vanilla frosting under mmf.  The bottom tier is vanilla cake with two layers of strawberry filling and one of vanilla frosting under mmf.  The flowers are all hand made with piped centers.  And I don't have a diamond-shaped cutter, so I squished my square cutter into a diamond, then un-squished it when I was done.  Oh, the things we do for our friends.

And that's all for today.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turtle Birthday Cake

Happy Belated Independence Day Cookies!

Cross Country Cookies