Chocolate Cream Pie

Happy week after Thanksgiving!  I hope you've all recovered.  I think I have and now I'm chomping at the bit to get started on Christmas cookies! 

In the meantime, here's one of the pies I made for Thanksgiving.  It's chocolate cream.  I also made pumpking and pecan, but those are pretty standard, so I won't bother posting them.

Anywhoo, here is a sneak peek at the finished pie:


I may have forgotten to take any pictures that included cream.  I made the pie the day before Thanksgiving, and did not whip the cream until right before we left for BIL's place.  (Unfortunately, my place won't hold more than 7 or 8 people comfortably, so we load up the food and eat at BIL's much larger and more accomodating house.)

Anyway, I use this recipe and it is fabulous. And easy.  Who could ask for more?

First things first: make and bake a 9" pie shell.



And chop some unsweetened chocolate:



Now, on to assembly!  We start by combining the dry ingredients in a sauce pan thusly:


And beat the egg and milk together like so:


Then slowly blend the the two together in the sauce pan:


Cook and stir over medium heat...


...until it thickens and comes to a full boil:


Nice and thick!  Boil for one minute.  Remove from heat and stir in chocolate and vanilla:


Stir until all is melted and smooth.


Pour into the prepared pie shell and refrigerate for a few hours before serving.  Top with whipped cream or meringue.  My family won't eat meringue, so I use whipped cream. I don't follow a recipe, just pour some heavy cream into a cold metal bowl and whisk on high speed, adding a few tablespoons of powdered sugar and a splash of vanilla along the way.  Stop when stiff peaks form.



 I've found it's best to wait until the last minute when making fresh whipped cream.  Just don't forget to take a picture if you're blogging. 

Well, that's all for now.

Enjoy!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turtle Birthday Cake

Cross Country Cookies

Happy Belated Independence Day Cookies!