Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookies

OK, so I know it's been a while since my last post.  I totally have an excuse.  You know how I may have mentioned once or twice that I take a lot of photos with my phone?  Well, my phone did not get dropped in the sink or anything, but it did refuse to connect to the computer for a while.  It very maliciously held all of my crappy photos hostage while it had some sort of tantrum.  But it's all better now.  I don't know why. I never got around to actually doing anything about it.  But here we are, connected again.

So the hubby and I are trying to watch what we eat.  We got a little lazy for a while, and we realized we needed to cut it out.  But we still need cookies.  So I started making these adapted Toll House Cookies.  They're pretty ok.  In fact, you get used to them pretty quickly.  And when they are the only sugar you're eating, you might even start to look forward to them.

Anyhoo, here we go.  The ingredients:


Well, some of them, anyway.  Imagine I included margarine, Splenda and Splenda Brown Sugar Blend, aka sucralose. 

We start by putting the margarine and the fake sugar in the mixer:



Now beat the snot out of it for a while until it's nice and creamy.


Add the eggs and the vanilla.  Don't panic.  I found out that sucralose and margarine don't play nice with eggs.  But it will be ok.  (I don't usually bake with margarine...it was an experiment...I have since gone back to butter...calories be darned.) It looks really funky right about now, but it will be fine...


...once you add the flour.  Whole wheat flour.  Why?  Because it's good for you. (Name that Weird Al song!)  And throw in half a bag of  bittersweet chocolate chips while you're at it. 



In the name of frugality, my mom always used half a bag of chips.  Which doesn't sound too bad until I tell you that she always doubled the recipe.  So it was double cookie, half chips.  Which is why I don't like a lot of chips in my cookies to this very day.  But sometimes I go a little crazy and add a whole bag of chips to a double batch of cookies.  Don't tell my mom.

Use a large cookie scoop and scoop out cookies onto parchment-lined baking sheets.


Now here's the funny thing about these cookies.  They don't really spread.  I have convinced myself it's the fault of the Splenda.  It just doesn't melt like sugar does.  So there's one more step.  You have to smoosh them before you bake them, or you get cookie balls.


I use the floured bottom of a measuring cup.  Now pop them into the oven for 10-12 minutes and you get some pretty ok cookies!


Feel free to take bad pictures of them.  I won't mind. 

They're better cold, not so much warm from the oven.  I know.  Weird.  But so are these cookies. 

Don't worry, I will still be baking real sweet stuff.  In fact, I'm gearing up for Christmas Cookie Time right now.  I have my list and I'm planning out what gets made when.  December is going to be fun!  Next week I'm making pies for Thanksgiving, so if the phone and the computer can maintain their relationship, I will post photos and recipes. 

Speaking of, here is the recipe for the ok cookies:

Modified Toll House Cookies

2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup Splenda (sucralose)
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup (1/2 package) bittersweet chocolate morsels

In a large bowl beat butter or margarine, splenda and splenda brown sugar blend until creamy.  Add eggs and vanilla and mix until incorporated.  Gradually beat in salt, soda, and flour.  Stir in morsles.  Scoop onto cookie sheets, smoosh flat and bake for 10-12 minutes in a preheated 375 degree oven.

Have some cold milk handy.

Well, that's all for today.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turtle Birthday Cake

Cross Country Cookies

Happy Belated Independence Day Cookies!